To Switch or Not to Switch: A Guide for Community Clinics Considering Changing EHRs
Developed by the California Health Care Foundation in 2019
The purpose of this guide is to help health center leaders weigh the costs and benefits of remaining with their current EHR system (possibly with enhanced functionality) or switching to a different one. It is intended to be useful to all those participating in decisions about EHR systems, not just to technical experts. The guide offers a step-wise approach to asking important questions, making decisions, and moving forward. The appendices describe the types of products and services that are available to health centers and that are mentioned throughout the guide.
The guide walks you through the following stepwise approach to EHR decision making:
1. Deciding whether to switch EHRs
- Understand your goals and motivations
- Consider the available options
- Consider the costs
2. Selecting a new EHR product or outsourcing provider
- Explore EHR product options
- Explore EHR outsourcing providers
- Perform due diligence and negotiate a contract
3. Planning and executing the EHR transition
- Get help
Access the full guide through the link below!